The Issue of Bullying in Primary Education
Bullying is a social phenomenon and problem that occurs independently of the class and cultural or economic level. It has its highest prevalence in early adolescence, around 11 and 13 years. For this reason, we have prepared this article about bullying in Primary Education. In the last elementary school is when they occur and start a large number of cases of bullying, even more than in high school. Therefore, if the awareness and awareness of the issue of school violence are addressed from the first courses, the number of people affected by it will be reduced in the short and long term.
Characteristics of Primary Education students
It must be taken into account that Primary Education students are fully developing their skills and competences. Thus, depending on the age, they acquire certain skills:
- In the age range of 6 to 12 years the feeling of autonomy develops and the need for independence.
- Between 7 and 9 years old children begin to be aware of social norms and the sense of ridicule. Therefore, it is important for them to feel accepted and valued by their friends. It is an ideal age to teach them to share, negotiate, cooperate and know how to accept failures in social relationships.
- Around 9 and 10 years old they begin to separate themselves from the family world and establish a commitment of loyalty with their friends. So at this stage you must learn the value of personal effort and put aside comfort.
- From the age of 11, due to physical changes, there is an increase in insecurity. Also, they want to pretend they are older and mature. Therefore, they can challenge authority with arrogance and the group of friends acquires a very important place in their lives.
In short, it can be said that Primary Education students are characterized by the need for approval from their peers , giving great importance to the opinion of others.
The first feelings of exclusion appear before the different, before the people who do not fall within the social norm. Because of this, they have to learn to:
- Do not judge people.
- Put yourself in the place of the other.
- Look for solutions.
- Be consistent with their actions.
Measures against bullying in Primary Education
It is important to act against bullying in Primary Education. Thus, children learn from small to react to intolerance, provocation, to reflect on different ways to control anger, generate new proposals, find solutions and stop believing that conflicts are always negative. In this way, positive social relationships are achieved and a non-violent interaction is fostered.
Thus, the inclusive school defends an education focused on promoting a coexistence based on values and good citizen practices, such as:
- The solidarity.
- The tolerance.
- The participation.
- The responsibility.
- The commitment with the public.
In addition, the inclusive school guarantees that all students have access to a quality education, based on equity and equality of opportunities. In this educational context, the differences must be addressed and the supports and specific aids that the most vulnerable people need must be given. In the same way, the Educational System must build social spaces that are democratic and participative, socially enriched , that facilitate learning and place emphasis on the interest to live, learn, understand, communicate, relate, act and project towards other groups.
It is about focusing on the presence and real participation and involves fighting against any form of exclusion, which is considered a process that is never considered finished.
In conclusion, it should be noted that one of the purposes of education is the integral development of the person in all its dimensions of development:
So a harmonious balance of the development of all these dimensions enhances the positive coexistence, which affects the quite significant reduction of cases of bullying in schools.
The school is the second agency of socialization of the individual and helps the family to achieve the objective of developing the intellectual and social skills necessary to turn it into an apt and productive being, for which it must ensure that all its students grow and live together in a safe, healthy environment, respectful of his individuality and that strengthens him to successfully face the demands of life.
⚠️ Remember: This essay was written and uploaded by an average student. It does not reflect the quality of papers completed by our expert essay writers. To get a custom and plagiarism-free essay click here.